Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Things that are both Not Good

First Not Good Thing: Dang it all, I thought I could avoid the new google blogger, and somehow I cleverly did last time I posted. Unfortunately I couldn’t remember how I did it last time, so I had to go and switch in order to post a new post.

Second Not Good Thing: My huge senior project involved creating design pieces for a tour for the band Over the Rhine. I have put images of everything I created up here, in order that I might illustrate my frustration with the critique I received last night during class. Basically people said that it didn’t fit together. That the advertisements and the posters weren’t unified enough. So they wanted it all to look the same as the poster. Also, the colors on the posters are apparently jarring. I am so sick of looking at these things that I can’t bear to open the file until tomorrow.
HOODIE

MAN SHIRT
GIRL SHIRT
STICKERS
ADVERTISEMENT #1
ADVERTISEMENT #2
SMALL POSTER
BIG POSTER

So there you have it. Things will be changing for the ads, so that they look more like the posters. I have to take out the bottom part of the posters since people thought it was snakeskin, and make the umbrella more contrasted since people didn’t get that it was an umbrella. Boobs.

One big gripe against this dang Google blog crap: DUMB QUOTES!!! This font defaults to dumb quotes, aka INCH marks. Observe:

DUMB QUOTE: "
SMART QUOTE:


Yes, I did go through this entire post and change the quotes. That involves the following keyboard strokes: option shift bracket. Instead of one button, I have to press three to get the correct typographic symbol for contractions and quotations. Sigh, my life is difficult.

Important dates for anyone still reading who loves me and wants to know these things:
Senior Show: Thursday, April 19th, 5-7 pm, Alumni House
Graduation: April 28th at 3 pm.


5 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

hmm, for some reason the end of my post is big. Also, the small poster really is smaller, I didn't want to post the big one full size. It's a beast of a file. 205MB not compressed.

5:35 PM  
Blogger DaWheeze said...

Poor Lindsey, not good things are...not good. Yeah, I like the stuff, but then I'm not an "artist" so I guess I don't know anything. Good luck, when are you coming home for break?!

11:19 PM  
Blogger D.Cous. said...

Hey there, don't let the crit get you down! I really like the poster, especially the flowers on the right side and the overall layout. I'd say you might want to make the tour dates slightly more visible/eye catching, but don't listen to me. The shirts are great, too. Do we have to get tickets to your graduation? How does one go about that? Keep your chin up, you do great work!

2:20 PM  
Blogger M.O.M. said...

Hey Binzoid:

I like the man shirt more than the girl shirt. What does that say about me I wonder??? Don't answer!

The side-on view of the guitar is cool :)

Senior show??? Yikes! Oh yeah, the shower for Ang is on April 29 in Steubie - oh goodie, two trips in one weekend!

10:18 AM  
Blogger clem said...

Reminds me of the saying, "I don't care what they say about you, Lindsey, I still like you."

Try to take the meat and leave the bones of the critics. Probably the most valuable lesson is developing a thicker skin, not so much the actual input. I think it all looks awesome. Maybe if I knew more the objectives of each media I would get pickier, but it's good practice for you to pretend you have a client and "yours is not to question why, but to do or die."
See you soon, and will no doubt be attending all important functions.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home