Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Mrs Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself

At the beginning of the semester my Novel/Film prof asked us to write down which of the books listed on our syllabus we had read. I wrote Frankenstein, Christmas Carol, Sense and Sensibility and Mrs. Dalloway with a question mark. I now know that the question mark was completely justified. I have never read Mrs. Dalloway (by virginia woolf, bonus points to her for having a cool last name, with two O's). I definitely would have remembered it. I haven't read any of her other novels, just a few essays (mark on the wall comes to mind...so strange...). The Prof gave a little disclaimer at the end of class yesterday saying that it's important to stick it out through the first 20 pages. He kids not. I am a few pages in and have barely managed to discover that this Clarissa Dalloway character has been walking down the street, met one friend and had a lot of confusing memories/flashbacks. This book will take me forever to read.

Speaking of books NOT taking forever to read, Far from the Madding Crowd is highly recommended. I started it on thursday (after spontaneously buying it at the university bookstore, to pad my 1.50 purchase of cds and cases), and finished it monday night. I'm actually pretty proud of that accomplishment, I hardly even skimmed, and I've read it before! While we're on the subject of books, last night I loaned my copy of North and South (NOT the blasted civil war patrick swayze crap http://imdb.com/title/tt0088583/ ) to a classmate. I've been touting Elizabeth Gaskell for weeks, as part of our Jane Austen discussions, and last week I got into a lengthy discussion of Pride and Prejudice vs. North and South during our break, so of course said classmate must read said excellent novel. Ahhh, I have done a good deed.

Speaking of things I have not been doing for the last hour and half...I came to school early for the express purpose of printing and mounting my tea project from last semester for Creative Smackdown thursday night. I got as far as purchasing the board at the bookstore (no extraneous books this time) before I started worrying about printing it: the crappy paper in the printers (don't get me started on the stupid printers and lab techs...as if it would KILL them to let us put in paper that is NOT transparent) the difficulty of selecting one package or doing all three....should I crease the board or cut it? paper cover or no? So I decided to hold off printing/mounting until tomorrow during class when I can ask Lorelle and other classmates their opinions.

In consequence of not doing the aforementioned actual work, I have been browsing NBC's website searching for when the newest episode of SVU will play (Olivia returns!!). Fortunately I do not have to decide between the Tigers and Benson and Stabler tonight: rerun. I have now only to decide whether to go over to the Browns to eat ice cream with Christy or to the Guys to crash their Watch party. Decisions. Basically it boils down to several choices: Ice Cream or Beer? Girl with cute baby or guys with cold house? channel surfing or baseball? There is of course the other option: that of staying home, doing some homework and going to bed at 10. Party animal or old lady?

So much for high minded posts. Kudos to me though for mentioning Jane Austen and Beer in the same post, albeit not in the same paragraph.

6 Comments:

Blogger M.O.M. said...

"Lindsey, Lindsey...", said her mother as she slowly, sadly, shook her head.

Like I said before: Senioritis.

I think the ice cream, small children would be more pleasant than beer with a bunch of guys who keep their house at the ambient outdoor temperature!

Drat! Now I'll have to read Far from the Madding Crowd. Isn't there a movie adaptation too? Hmm...

4:19 PM  
Blogger DaWheeze said...

Ahhh, question has answered itself. I now know.

5:25 PM  
Blogger D.Cous. said...

I'd recommend watching the game old lady style, but only because I don't want you catching your death in the guys' house, and because I'm unsure of how comfortable I am with you around alcohol and boys :) Have fun whichever you end up doing!

5:28 PM  
Blogger clem said...

"I'm watching Wazowski. Always watching."

9:58 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

I ended up going to Christy's and got some girly drinks on the way at a shady place called "Danny's Beverages." The dude behind the counter was smoking in my face so I kept trying to leave, and he asked "ya got somewhere to go lady?" "well, I don't want to stay here all night..." "HACK HACK HACK"

4:41 PM  
Blogger M.O.M. said...

Note to self...stay away from shady places. That was creepy Lindsey!

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home